Until the final announcement on GenCon, Dragonlance was still a strong contender for de 2010 DnD setting. But for the lancer's the Dark Sun announcement was like a cold bucket of water on their hopes. But now, some reliable source has confirmed that DL also got a green light to 4e.
Since GenCon there has been many tiddy-bits of information regarding Dark Sun 4e for next year. Today i will try o group all that info in one post.
1. There is no certainty that the 3 books format will be applied to Dark Sun, but it is most likely
2. There will (probably) be desert/sand tiles to support DS gameplay, it could be as part of a setting (marine set) or a DS specific. My best guess is that RPGA DM's will receive some desertic tiles on the next cicle
3. There will be no "jump forward" on the history of the setting, it will take in the timeline of the original boxed set and Prism Pentad series of novels.
4. There will likely be some previews during the D&D Experience 2010 to take place in Fort Wayne, IN, on January 28-31.
5. Thri-Kreen and Cannibal halflings will most likely return. Still is unsure if the cannibal part will be somehow tuned down to fit a more young audience.
6. Brom, the original artist for the setting was invited to the project and wants to contribute, but he is too busy right now, and won't confirm his participation.
7. The fifth book of the Prism Pentad series was re-released some months ago. It is a must read for futures DM's since it protraits a "possible near future" of the setting starting point.
8. Harsh terrain and weather will be on of the biggest challenges PC's will face, it is expected some skills challenges rules for that on the next DMG.